POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Down the Drain (WIP Update #1) : Re: Down the Drain (WIP Update #1) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Down the Drain (WIP Update #1)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 27 Feb 2006 11:31:54
Message: <4403297a@news.povray.org>
> The water should form a spiralling whirlpool as it goes down the drain.

Here's an attempt at that. Quite honestly, the refraction and viewing angle
obscure the view on the mesh so much that I don't think the extra workload
is needed. I've written a small script to generate an array of points which
aren't spread evenly like in a heightfield, but are closer together at the
center where the vortex is, and further apart at the edges, where there's
less detail. I then twisted the vortex's axis a little with it being
displaced, so the vortex doesn't go straight down, but swirl towards the
drain.

Might be that I've got to add another lightsource for highlights to show the
displacement on the vortex, but if that doesn't do much, I think I'll go
stick with the simpler heightfield. Some of the caustics (non-photon-mapped)
are more pleasing to me visually in the old version.

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias v2.0"